Obligations, accessibility, and dead macros: MDN Changelog for September 2018
Done in September
Here’ s what happened in September towards the code, information, and tools that will support MDN Web Docs :
Here’ s the plan for Oct:
Launched MDN obligations
We’ ve already been thinking about the direction and growth associated with MDN. We’ d like a lot more direct connection with developers, and to supply them with valuable features and benefits they have to be successful in their web projects. We’ ve researched several promising concepts, and decided that direct obligations would be the first experiment. Logged-in customers and 1% of anonymous site visitors see the banner that asks these to directly support MDN. See Ali Spivak’ s and Kadir Topal’ s post, A New Way to Support MDN , for more info.
The execution phase started in August, when Potato London was hired to design plus implement payments. Potato did a fantastic job executing on a 5-week routine, including several design meetings, day-to-day standups, and a trip from Bristol to London to meet face-to-face throughout the MDN work week. Thanks to the effort from the Potato team, including Steve Harding, Josh Jarvis , Matt Hall , Michał Macioszczyk , Philip Lackmaker, and Rachel Lee.
Mozilla staff members across the organization helped keep this task on schedule, from writing duplicate to security reviews to pull request testimonials and fixes , including me personally, Ali Spivak, Caglar Ulucenk, Diane Tate, Havi Hoffman, Kadir Topal , Kevin Fann, Thomas Johnson , and Schalk Neethling .
Improved MDN’ s convenience resources
After the function week, we met with convenience experts for the Hack on MDN event. Volunteers and staff enhanced MDN’ s coverage of convenience. This included discussions of availability topics, improving and expanding MDN’ s documentation, and writing associated blog posts. It also included code modifications, improving MDN’ s color comparison and adding markup for display screen readers. See Janet Swisher’ h Hack upon MDN: Better accessibility for MDN Web Docs for your details.
Seren Revealed ( @ninjanails ) was there, and many fingernails were painted.
Removed 15% of KumaScript macros
The MDN team got together for the week at the London office in order to reflect on the quarter and program the coming year.
We discussed KumaScript, our macro language and rendering service that will implements standardized sidebars, banners, plus internal links. It’ s already been easier to analyze macros since we all moved them to GitHub in November 2016 . We’ re happy with the overall performance gains, but code reviews get forever, translations are hard, plus we’ re slow to write tests . Problems contributed to an incident in Aug where a sidebar macro was damaged, and all the API reference webpages showed an error for a day ( bug 1487640 ).
Staff gets impatient with KumaScript, and desires to replace it with something much better. Florian wrote up the notes through the meeting on Discourse as Next steps intended for KumaScript .
Florian , Will Bamberg , plus Ryan Manley started on the very first step, identifying and removing empty or seldom-used macros, such as hello. ejs . ( PR 849 ).
The group removed seventy two macros in regarding 2 weeks, and will continue removing all of them for the rest of the year. This will leave the smaller quantity of important macros , and we may analyze them for the next measures in the project.
Delivered tweaks and fixes
There were 379 PRs merged within September:
This includes a few important changes and fixes:
EmbedLiveSample: Avoid XSS, and add
allow=variable ( KumaScript PAGE RANK 786 ), from me . This particular and related PRs fix reside samples, like media constraints , that out of cash when Chrome and Safari started enforcing feature policies in an
< iframe>. Observe Google’ s i9000 explainer page , Policy Controlled Features , and insect 1482159 .
- Finish compat tables beta ( KumaScript PR 860 ) from Florian Scholz , and Kuma PR 4988 from Stephanie Hobson . Along with 96% of the data migrated, and much more than 6, 500 pages utilizing the new layout, it was time to quit calling it a beta.
- First chunk of unittest fixes for Python 3 ( Kuma PR 4910 ), from Anthony Maton . All of us plan to switching to Python a few by the end of the year.
< div>example to use CC0 image ( Online Examples PR 1088 ), from Eric Shepherd , a continuing project to obtain consistent licensing for the interactive illustrations repository.
- Remove certain efforts as part of relicensing plan ( Data PR 294 ), and Change repo license in order to CC0 ( Information PR 301 ), through Chris Generators . This is part of a 4 month hard work to change the permit of the mdn/data repo and mdn-data npm deal to CC0-1. 0 , to permit the data to be used in similar contexts as the mdn-browser-compat-data npm package plus data.
sixty six pull requests were from new contributors:
- Up-date compatibility data for
onpopstateevent ( BCD PR 2697 ), from Abhishek Gupta .
- Update the data for
ScreenOrientation( PR 2698 ), from Christophe Coevoet (first contribution to BCD).
flex-growIE support ( BCD PR 2701 ), from Nils Lundquist .
- Add compat data for CSS
:: -ms-valuepseudo-element ( BCD PR 2708 ), through Andrew D. Dvorak .
- Upgrade compat data for
nameoption ( BCD PR 2709 ), from Johan Holmerin .
- Add compat data for that webextension
findoptional permission ( PR 2710 ), and Add compat data for that webextension
tabHideoptional permission ( PR 2719 ), to BCD from glacambre .
upgrade-insecure-requestsSafari compatibility ( BCD PR 2729 ), from David Harbage .
- Chrome does not defer scripts within XHTML ( BCD PR 2754 ), through Franklin Tse .
integrityfor Edge and Safari ( PR 2765 ), Update standard status to get
immutableresponse ( PAGE RANK 2793 ), and 3 more PRs to BCD through Franklin Yu .
partial-implementationin order to CSS’ s
align-content( PR 2786 ), Repair typo in
Client. ownerDocumentnotes ( PR 2787 ), and 3 more PRs to BCD from Maria Paktiti .
HTMLElement. clicksupport desk ( PR 2789 ), and Update
HTMLFormElement. submitcompat table ( PR 2796 ), in order to BCD from Daniel Smith .
connectionStatecompat information ( BCD PR 2815 ), from Philipp Hancke .
- Mark the
< menuitem>element since deprecated ( PAGE RANK 2837 ), Mark
< contextMenu>as deprecated ( PR 2838 ), plus 5 a lot more PRs from Michael[tm] Smith (first efforts to BCD).
- Include dynamic import status for MICROSOFT Edge ( BCD PR 2844 ), through dennisameling .
RTCPeerConnection. canTrickleIceCandidatesassistance ( BCD PAGE RANK 2849 ), from Sean Bright .
- Update node. js support for
Day[@@toPrimitive]( BCD PR 2865 ), from Fayti1703 .
- Add Safari support for suitability of
navigator. on-line( BCD PR 2866 ), from Má rcio Lucas R. Oliveira .
- Comment out the particular indicator
: matches(… )block for now ( PR 4961 ), from ExE Boss (first contribution to Kuma).
- Reduce web font usage ( PR 4967 ), and Removing preload regarding Zilla Bold ( PR 4982 ), in order to Kuma from tkadlec .
- MDN Contribution payment flow implementation ( PR 4970 ), Contribution views flow ( PR 4976 ), and 3 more PRs to Kuma from Josh Jarvis .
- Add more helpful way of accessing
Promise( Online Examples PR 1124 ), from Lalu Levy .
- Manage new Jenkins / AWS solutions ( PR 1135 ), Make
irc-notify. shexecutable again ( PAGE RANK 1136 ), and Create
awscliprofile optional ( PR 1137 ), through Ryan Manley (first contributions in order to Interactive Examples).
- Every radio button in the group must have distinct
valueattribute ( Interactive Examples PR 1141 ), from Konstantin Rouda .
- Fix incorrect label selector within password example ( Interactive Examples PR 1147 ), from Gene Wood .
- Updating picture example to work much better on small screens ( PR 1149 ), from Olle Lauri Boströ m (first contribution to Interactive Examples).
- Increase colour comparison of comments in code good examples ( Interactive Illustrations PR 1159 ), through Seren G .
- Add security password info for AES backup decryption ( PR 63 ), from Dave Parfitt (first contribution to infra).
rm -rf elbs( PR 86 ), through Josh Mize (first contribution in order to infra).
- Update syntaxes to match latest specs ( Data PR 104 ), from Albert Scheiner .
- Add the
: matches(… )selector ( PR 284 ), Add the
||column combinator ( PR 285 ), and Add the particular
: has(… )selector ( PR 286 ), through ExE Manager (first contributions in order to Data).
- Fix filename path in fallback paragraph ( learning-area PR 94 ), from RACZ Andras .
- Remove unused variable ( PR 95 ), and Fix undefined adjustable ( PR ninety six ), to learning-area through Xu Chunyang .
- Changed mention of the female chickens from cock in order to hen. ( PAGE RANK 99 ), from Irene Smith (first contribution to learning-area).
- Add IIR Filtration system Demo ( PAGE RANK 10 ), and Include Audio Basics Demo ( PR 11 ), to webaudio-examples from Ruth John .
- Add IIR Filter Demonstration ( PR twelve ), from Chris Mills (first contribution to webaudio-examples).
response. blob. Attempt to make video down load not one time. ( dom-examples PR 28 ), from ZaneHannanAU .
- Fix sentence structure error in
versions. py( django-locallibrary-tutorial PR 22 ), from Leonard Meerwood .
aptto do automated security improvements ( PR four ), from Ed Lim (first contribution to ansible-jenkins).
Planned for Oct
October is the start of fourth quarter. We have a few annual goals to complete, including the Python a few transition, the next round of the obligations experiment, and performance experiments. This particular quarter also contains major vacations and the Mozilla All Hands , which suggest it has about half the working days associated with other quarters. Time to get to function!
Move to Mozilla THIS infrastructure
In Oct, Ryan Manley , Male impotence Lim , Dave Parfitt , and Josh Mize will complete the set up of MDN services in the Mozilla IT infrastructure, and switch creation traffic to the new systems. This will total the migration of MDN through Mozilla Marketing to Emerging Systems, started in Feb 2018 . The team is definitely organizing the switch-over checklist, plus experimenting with the parallel staging conditions.
The production switch will be planned for October 29th, and can include a few hours when the web site is in read-only mode.
David is a web developer working on the particular engine of MDN Web Documents
If you liked Obligations, accessibility, and dead macros: MDN Changelog for September 2018 by John Whitlock Then you'll love Web Design Agency Miami