Done in November
Here’ s what happened in November towards the code, information, and tools that will support MDN Web Docs :
Here’ s the plan for Dec:
Shipped monthly MDN payments
In Sept we released MDN payments , giving MDN fans a different way to help MDN grow . Upon November 20th, we added the opportunity to schedule monthly obligations .
Payment per month banner on MDN
Spud London started focus on this shortly after one-time payments released. We kicked it off having a design meeting where we driven the features that could be delivered within 4 weeks. Potato and MDN proved helpful closely to remove blockers, review program code (in over 25 pull requests), and get it into the staging atmosphere for testing. Thanks to everyone’ s i9000 hard work, we launched a top quality feature on schedule.
We’ ve learned a lot out there payment experiments, and we’ lmost all continue to find ways to maintain MDN’ s growth in 2019.
Converted from Font Amazing to SVG
Upon November 6th, we deployed Schalk Neethling’ t PR 5058 , completing the particular transition from the FontAwesome webfont in order to inline SVG icons. There are a few symbol and style changes, but the web site should look the same to most customers.
Banners along with indicators before the change (left) after converting to SVG
We had several reasons for this change in April, whenever Schalk started the project. The largest gains were expected to be in efficiency and a simpler design. Over the calendar year, we became aware that many articles blockers prevent loading web fonts, and many users couldn’ t find UIs that depended on symbols. For example , the browser compatibility furniture were useless on mobile along with Firefox Concentrate . This change fixes this problem.
We haven’ capital t seen a significant performance improvement, however may have been small improvements as this change was rolled out over the year. This 30 days, we explored some more radical adjustments, such as minimal styling and impaired JS, by shipping manually modified copies of wiki pages. These types of experiments will help us determine the greatest impact changes for front-end functionality, and provide insight into what areas to learn next.
Added internet browser names to compatibility tables
The new SVG icons are now being used in the browser compatibility desk. In the wider desktop view, we’ ve added rotated browser labeling ( Kuma PAGE RANK 5117 and KumaScript PR 997 ), so it is clearer which usually browser is which. We furthermore launched a survey to request visitors about their needs with regard to compatibility data ( Kuma PR 5133 ).
The compatibility desk for display has gotten also taller
The compatibility data continues to be launched as a good NPM package , and now a tagged discharge is also created, such as the statistics and notable changes from your last release ( BCD PR 3158 ).
Welcome David Flanagan
Delivered tweaks and fixes
There were 248 PRs merged within November:
This includes several important changes and fixes:
35 pull requests had been from first-time contributors:
- Support sticky table associated with contents on Safari ( Kuma PR 5113 ), from Anthony Ricaud .
- Upgrade clean-css to version four. x ( PAGE RANK 5135 ), and Stop including the SEO root title for all document titles ( PR 5142 ), in order to Kuma from David Flanagan .
intrinsicsize to HTML Media components (
video ) ( PR 2979 ), from ZaneHannanAU (first factor to BCD).
- Up-date browser compatibility for rest attributes in objects ( BCD PR 3038 ), from FichteFoll .
insertRule optionally available
index compatibility for IE and FF ( BCD PAGE RANK 3039 ), from Tim .
- Add compatibility for
FullScreen API on IE11 ( BCD PR 3040 ), from CntChen .
- Fix label escaping in Edge note regarding
FileSystem API ( BCD PR 3043 ), through Ryusei YAMAGUCHI .
object-position Safari Support Details ( BCD PR 3045 ), from Holt Johnson .
- Add support data for the
signal function from the
AbortController API ( PR 3048 ), through Konstantin Rouda (first contribution in order to BCD).
- Update Opera compatibility for
Home window. event ( BCD PR 3057 ), from Matthieu Riegler .
aspect-ratio for Safari on iOS ( BCD PAGE RANK 3066 ), from Eric Celeste .
- Add and rename image directives of Feature Plan ( BCD PAGE RANK 3095 ), from Jason Chase .
- Add support pertaining to
< meter> in iOS Safari ten. 3 ( BCD PR 3109 ), through Sven Wolfermann .
- Update “ Tracking Preference Expression (DNT)” Editor’ s draft URL ( KumaScript PR 805 ), from Vivien Lacourba .
- Change WebDriver to Living standards ( PR 930 ), from Andreas Tolfsen (first contribution to KumaScript).
- Add Spanish support in order to
Glossary macro ( KumaScript PR 968 ), through Joaquí in Serna .
- Up-date French string in
SeeCompatTable ( KumaScript PR 975 ), from lp177 .
< audio> example to valid and much more semantic HTML ( PR 1236 ), through Karl Stolley (first contribution in order to Interactive Examples).
grid-area label indicators to
div content ( Interactive Examples PAGE RANK 1248 ), from Liz Lawley .
-webkit-overflow-scrolling inheritance ( Data PR 331 ), from Timothy Liang .
- Add chroma keying illustration ( PR twenty nine ), Add web crypto examples ( PAGE RANK 30 ), and Eliminate web crypto examples ( PR 31 ), from wbamberg (first contributions in order to dom-examples).
- Fix indenting of
display_genre. short_description = 'Genre' ( django-locallibrary-tutorial PR thirty-three ), from AlekseiMarinichenko .
speechResult to lowercase to fix term matching ( web-speech-api PR 29 ), through Hartmut Bohnacker .
- In the activity demo, list the voices directly into alphabetical order (ignoring case) ( web-speech-api PR thirty ), from Chris Chittleborough .
- Add recipes ( PR 1 ), and Add CSS property change ( PR three or more ), from wbamberg (first contributions to stumptown-experiment).
- Add error handling to several fetch examples ( fetch-examples PR 13 ), from Capital t. J. Crowder .
editable-list example ( web-components-examples PR 13 ), from liuxuewei .
auto in order to
flex to match Firefox’ s wrapping within Safari and Chrome ( learning-area PR 108 ), from stefsulzer .
- Differ console messages to distinguish between handlers ( simple-web-worker PAGE RANK 10 ), from Bharath Bhushan Lohray .
- Update README to reference MDN docs ( crossbrowser-testing-lab PR one ), from James Thompson .
- Add grid wrapper instance to CSS Layout Cookbook ( css-examples PR twelve ), from Michelle Barker .
Planned for Dec
Meet in Orlando, florida
Twice a year, all Mozilla comes together for an All-Hands conference. This winter’ s All-Hands is within Orlando, Fl . We were in Orlando keep away from 2015, when Florian was suggesting moving KumaScript macros to GitHub and I was deploying the BrowserCompat API to beta users. A great deal changes in three years!
Many of us at MDN will be using well-deserved breaks after the All-Hands, and can come back refreshed for 2019. Hopefully you and yours have an enjoyable wintertime break!
If you liked MDN Changelog for November 2018 by John Whitlock Then you'll love Web Design Agency Miami