Efficiency Updates and Hosting Moves: MDN Changelog for October 2018
Done in October
Here’ s what happened in October in to the code, file, and tools that particular support MDN Web Docs :
Here’ s the plan for Don’t forget national:
We shipped other changes designed to improve MDN’ states page load time. The effects were not because significant as we’ d thought.
Shipped performance adjustments
< details> element is supported by most current windows, with the notable exception of Roshan hauhan Edge, which is supported with a polyfill.
< details> add new content to shipped October 4th, and the thirty-one, 000 pages with sidebars have been regenerated to apply the change.
A second change was meant to reduce the use of Web Fonts , which should be downloaded and can cause the webpage to be repainted. Some browsers, reminiscent of Firefox Target , block web fonts automagically for performance and to save band width.
One strategy is to get rid of the web font entirely. We changed out OpenSans with the built-in Verdana since body font in September ( PR 4967 ), and then again with Arial with regards to October 22 ( PR 5023 ). We’ re also replacing Font Awesome , implemented possessing a web font, with inline SVG ( PR 4969 and PR 5053 ). We expect to complete the SVG work in November.
An extra strategy is to reduce the size of your font. The custom Zilla size, introduced with the June 2017 upgrade, was reduced to standard English speaking characters, cutting the file shapes and sizes in half on October 10 ( PR 5024 ).
These moves have had an impact on total free download size and rendering time, and therefore we’ re seeing improvements in this particular synthetic metrics . However , there has been no significant change in down load as measured to get MDN users. In November, we’ ll try some more radical findings to learn more about the components of page load any time.
Moved MDN to MozIT
Johnson , Ed Lim , and Dave Parfitt switched production traffic away from the Marketing to the IT servers across October 29th. The site was put into read-only mode, so all the content and articles was available during the transition. Difficult some small hiccups, mostly covering running out of API budget for Amazon’ s Elastic File-system (EFS), but when i handled the issues within the maintenance window case.
In the weeks before the cut over, the team put into action deployments, updated documentation, and be checked data transfer processes. They created a number of tasks and assignments, detailed further development for the migration, and planned any cleanup work after the cut earlier mentioned. The team’ s attention to info and continuous communication made this an easy transition for MDN’ s people, with no downtime or bugs.
The MozIT cluster usual similar to the previous MozMEAO cluster. The actual technical brief summary from the October $13, 2017 launch is still a decent an overview of how MDN is deployed.
There are a handful of changes, almost all of which MDN users shouldn’ d notice. We’ re now holding images in Docker Hub in the place of quay. io . The MozMEAO cluster worked Kubernetes 1 . 7, and the all new MozIT cluster runs 1 . dokuz. This may be responsible for more reliable DNS searches, avoiding occasional issues when binding to the database or other AWS services.
In Late, we’ ll continue monitoring the servers, and shut down the well not required services in the MozMEAO account. We’ ll then re-evaluate our arrangements from the beginning of the year, and prioritize the next infrastructure updates. The top belonging to the list is reliable acceptance colle and deploys across multiple AWS zones.
Shipped adjustments and fixes
The policies 352 PRs merged in July:
This includes some remarkable changes and fixes:
80 pull requests were from new contributors:
- Improve details for MS Edge uphold of
SubtleCrypto( BCD PR 2738 ), taken from Wim T .
- Add provider for CSS property
-moz-image-region( BCD PR 2853 ), from Shivam Singhal .
- Add browser versions for WEB PAGE property
scroll-snap-type( BCD PR 2867 ), of Chris Bitsakis .
- Add particulars for
-moz-user-focus, and as well as (
user-modify( PR 2868 ), Add data for many weird CSS properties/selectors ( PR 2874 ), in addition 11 great deal PRs to BCD from Soft Darkscratch .
- Sum Edge support for
Intl( BCD PR 2882 ), from Jack Horton .
- Add Edge 18 and offered features ( BCD PR 2907 ), due to Merih Pokok .
- Fix typo (“ performace. now()” to “ performance. now()” ) ( BCD PR 2914 ), from Merlin Luntke .
- Update to extend 3. 0. 8 ( BCD PUBLICITY 2916 ), from Jonathan Felchlin .
- Update Firefox’ s i9000 supported
< iframe sandbox>attributes ( BCD PR 2919 ), from Dan Callahan .
- Fix typo and connection to capabilities on MDN ( BCD PR 2930 ), from Andreas Tolfsen .
- Add Edge Mobile’ s substantiate of
< advices type=date>( BCD PR 2932 ), from Jeff Powell .
- Add IE’ s partial provide of
HTMLHyperlinkElementUtils. pathname( BCD PR 2934 ), from wizzwizz4 .
- Add Mozilla firefox 57 support for
MediaPlayPause( BCD PR 2936 ), from Carlin Scott .
- Add note that IE does not allow
Node. containsfor SVG elements ( BCD PR 2942 ), from Pascal Duez .
- Add notes for
Originheader change in Firefox 59 ( BCD PR 2943 ), from Thé ophile Helleboid – chtitux .
- Add benefit details for
FontFaceSetAPI in Chromium (cr) and Opera ( BCD PR 2948 ), from Gerhard Preuss .
- Algorithm change IE support for
window. scrollBy( BCD PR 2975 ), from Mathieu Lemoine .
- Add Safari 11. 8 support for
CacheStorageAPI ( BCD PR 2976 ), from Jianrong Yu .
- Update Chrome’ s and Opera’ s support for
MediaRecorder( PR 2977 ), Update
Selectionsupport in Chrome and Attivit? ( PR 3032 ), and Update
ImageBitmapAPI sustenance ( PR 3033 ), to BCD produced by Xiaoru Li .
- Change Brink 17 to partial support in order for
disabledattribute ( PUBLICITY 2978 ), and Change WEB BROWSER 9 to partial support to find
inset( PR 2996 ), to BCD beyond Bart Groeneveld .
- Add note that Edge support for
ShadowDOMis in development ( BCD PR 2982 ), from Jack Montgomery .
- Contain details of browser support for WEB PAGE
all( BCD PAGE RANK 2986 ), from Pier Bover .
- Add Safari brands that support
FormDatamethods ( BCD PR 2988 ), from Rouven Bü hlmann .
- Remove Edge support as for
:: cue selector( BCD PR 2998 ), with Clement Allen .
import( BCD PUBLIC REALTIONS 3001 ), from happy-monk .
- Add IE and Firefox support for
license request form. createComment( BCD PR 3003 ), from Giordano Ricci .
- Add Edge 12 support for the
Element. scrollIntoView( BCD PR 3006 ), due to Michel Plungjan .
- Add customer support for CSS properties
inline-size( BCD PR 3012 ), from cartinez .
- Add Edge 18 support with regard to
Promise. finally( BCD PR 3013 ), brought on by Pedro Barbiero .
- Add Stainless- 69 support for
OffscreenCanvaswithout a the flag ( PR 3017 ), and Add Chrome 69 support for
transferControlToOffscreenwithout a flag ( PR 3019 ), to BCD from SMUsamaShah .
- Add Edge 15 carry for Brotli compression ( BCD PR 3023 ), from Jacob Stamm .
- Remove Safari support for
Element. animate( BCD PUBLIC RELATIONS 3028 ), from Jé ré a great Thulliez .
- Prepare alternative names for
WebGLin Mozila firefox ( BCD ADVERTISING 3029 ), from Anis Ladram .
- Add Safari thirteen support for
poem. createComment( BCD PR 3037 ), from Ben Keith .
- Add accessible text to unrestricted icons ( PUBLIC RELATIONS 5000 ), from Hidde de Vries (first contribution in order to really Kuma).
- Hide computer code|code calculatordecoder} line numbers from screen admirer ( PR 5047 ), from arai-a (first contribution to Kuma).
- Fix hash link on feuille without Table of Contents ( Kuma PR 5057 ), from urty5656 .
- Add Stripe customer ID so as to MDN user record ( Kuma PR 5059 ), from Michal Macioszczyk .
- Update sidebars to use details/summary ( PR 789 ), from tkadlec (first impact to KumaScript).
- Improve wording of vendor prefix mention in compatibility table ( PR 806 ), from Connor Shea (first punition to KumaScript).
- Clear up lightweight themes from the sidebar. ( PR 965 ), from Irene Smith (first contribution to KumaScript).
another = a + x( PAGE RANK 1171 ), from a recently deleted account (first contribution that Interactive Examples).
- Build example for headings
< h1>thanks to
< h6>( Interesting Examples PR 1180 ), from Tremaine Neethling .
Object. valuesexample ( Interactive Examples PR 1182 ), from Raju Gautam .
- Use template strings to raise readability ( Electronic Examples PR 1187 ), from Flying-Toast .
- Add “ attribute-“ prefix to HTML web-site examples ( Fascinating Examples PR 1189 ), from Dimitri Belopopsky .
- Restoration bug in
Cord. normalizelive model ( Interactive Examples discussed above PR 1193 ), through Eugene Dzhumak .
- Use frequent white space, switch to arrow succeeds, and address other nits ( webaudio-examples PR 40 ), from Stoyan .
: blankCSS selector data ( PR 298 ), from Michal Č aplygin (first contribution to Data).
- Correct the list of practiced attributes ( web-components-examples PR 10 ), based in LordRegentTB .
- Improve edit-word simulation ( web-components-examples PUBLICITY 11 ), from Jan Murmann .
- Remove warning for Firefox 33 from
@counter-styledemo ( css-examples PR 18 ), from Razvan Caliman .
- Add minimal
ttmlsample for use with live preview ( imsc PR 3 ), from Andreas Tai .
- Increase the inline styles example ( imsc PR 4 ), from Pierre-Anthony Lemieux .
- Add initial license info ( PR 1 ), from Daniel D. Beck (first contribution to short-descriptions).
- Add guidelines for WEB PAGE short descriptions ( PR 3 ), of wbamberg (first contribution to short-descriptions).
let( learning-area PR 106 ), from Lisa Tidball .
- Make website responsive ( web-tech-games PR the ), from Purushottam Sharma .
- Reduce image sizes when A2HS demo ( pwa-examples PR 9 ), from Nemo .
- Change the
let( fibonacci-worker PR 3 ), due to Varsha Chahal .
- Add lifestyle issue template to replace Bugzilla information requests ( PUBLIC RELATIONS 505 ), from Janet Swisher (first contribution to sprints).
- Add authentication in addition to the role-based authorization ( express-locallibrary-tutorial PR 54 ), from Caglar Turali .
Planned for November
We’ ll continue on performance tests in November, such as removing Size Awesome and looking for new ways to less page load time. We’ ll progress ongoing projects, such as migrating then updating browser compatibility data together with shipping more HTML examples just like the one on < input> .
Watercraft recurring payments
At October, we shipped a new way to support MDN with one-time payments. To make November, we’ re working with Potato London again to add the option to get monthly payments to MDN.
Interested in contributing to MDN? Don’ r miss Getting started on MDN or jump right in to the Kuma repo to begin donating code.
If you’ re just getting started, take a look at i would say the MDN wiki page for new contributing factors or have a look at
John generally web developer working on the media of MDN Web Docs
If you liked Efficiency Updates and Hosting Moves: MDN Changelog for October 2018 by John Whitlock Then you'll love Web Design Agency Miami